Friday 22 July 2011

It's Not Like Crocodile Dundee

No one says sheila. They don't say shrimp on the barbie. Yet, Aussie's do have an interesting way of speaking. As everyone learned in their history classes (or my dad in all of his books on Australia), Australia is a country created from criminals. Coming from lower class backgrounds and prison cells, the words and lingo still used in Australia were ways to communicate freely around the police. While not every word used currently was used in a prison, the way that the Australian people abbreviate their words is based off of their history. Anyway, here are some of my favorite words that I now use to get around.
Thong= flip flop/sandal
Trakkie= sweatpants
Jumper/hoodie= sweatshirt
Mate= I have no idea how to really define it but its used all the time. Kind of like dude.
Oy= Used to get someone's attention. Like yo
Fairy floss= cotton candy
Bathers= swimsuit
Uni= college/university. "School" is used to describe up until grade 12
Arvo= afternoon
No worries= you're welcome
My shout= my turn to buy this round (used at pubs)
It was also stressed to us to never say that we 'root for a team.' The word 'root' has a completely different meaning here. It translates to the f word.

surfing, money, camera
Amanda

p.s. I promise I'm taking pictures mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment